You’ve been dating and are starting to be filled with hope and excitement as you think about your future together.
- Where will you live?
- What kind of family will you have?
- What kind of adventures will you experience
- How would you handle your money as a couple?
If one of those things doesn’t seem to fit with the others, well, you’re not alone. We find that, in all the fun and emotion of dating, money conversations often get left out. And we get that — talking about money doesn’t seem very romantic! The reality, however, is that if this relationship does go to the next level you will be making money decisions together. Finding out if you are compatible when it comes to how you handle your daily money decisions could be a deal maker or a deal breaker.
According to a survey by Country Financial, 42% of couples do not talk about money before they are married. We didn’t, and we are now The Money Couple®!
Your new honey is going to love this one
Here are 3 tips to having your first money conversation:
- Discover and reveal your Money Personalities – Take 7 minutes to take your Money Personality Assessment on our website. You need to understand how you look at and deal with money yourself. Here’s the link.
- Identify their response – Tell your boyfriend or girlfriend what you discovered with the assessment and wait for their response. For instance if you found out you were a Saver/Flyer and are telling them how important it is for you to have a good chunk of money saved for emergencies, and they look at you like you are from outer space, this is a huge red flag!
- Discover their Money Personalities – Ask them to take the assessment and see if there is any push back. Remember this is your first conversation. It’s not like you asked them how much debt they have. You just want to get to know them better. If they push back, another huge red flag!
I (Bethany) was single until I was 32. I knew I would get married someday and I wanted to have the BEST relationship ever so I picked up every “premarriage” book I could find. Each of those books helped give me a foundation so I knew what I was getting in to. We STRONGLY recommend you pick up a copy of The 5 Money Personalities. Money impacts each conversation — get a great match and you will cut many potential arguments off at the pass.
Discovering more about the person you are dating will help you decide if you want to pursue this relationship or not. As you talk about your Money Personalities, you might find this money conversation can be a little more romantic than you thought.
Did you talk about money before you were married? Tell us about that conversation in the comments below. If you didn’t, we’d love to hear your story as well. Please leave a comment. Let the dialogue begin!