Kohl’s, Macy’s, and JCPenney’s will all be open on Thanksgiving – all to lure us in for the spendiest season of the year. The average family spends $786 dollars and every store is in a race for those dollars NOW!
Here are 3 tips to “Ready, Set, Go” your holiday season:
1. Ready – we know, we know “make a list and check it twice” – but how do you make your list have impact and meaning? You INDIVIDUALIZE it! Make your holiday shopping list with THEM in mind, not you! (tweet this) There are 5 different ways we receive gifts.
- Some don’t want you to spend a lot of money (Savers)
- Some like the lavish gifts (Spenders)
- Some like something different (Risk Takers)
- Some like things that are practical (Security Seekers)
- Some like gifts that foster your relationship (Flyers)
And don’t forget to take your loved one’s Secondary Money Personality into consideration too. (If you haven’t already be sure to take our Money Personality Assessment).
2. Set – Set expectations with your spouse or significant other.
If you are sharing a pocketbook then you need to be in agreement. Who is getting what and how much are you going to spend. Also be sure to set expectations with family members. If this has been a trying money year then there is nothing wrong with a little “warning.” Your “warning” could go something like this, “Been a little rough this year so we are going to be going a little lighter but doesn’t mean we don’t love you a ton.” Nothing says “Bah Humbug” more than money fights and broken expectations during the holidays.
3. Go – If you have completed “Ready and Set” you are now ready to go and enjoy buying and giving your gifts.
We want you to have a great holiday season. We all know a budget is a good idea but don’t forget the “other side of money” – the relationship side. We hope and pray your Money Relationship brings you hope, laughter, and peace this year!
Scott & Bethany Palmer
The Money Couple®
Creators of The 5 Money Personalities™
Scott & Bethany Palmer are regulars on national TV and radio and speak internationally about The 5 Money Personalities™. To learn more about your Money Personalities, get FREE resources, and take the free, scientific assessment, visit TheMoneyCouple.com or pick up a copy of their book The 5 Money Personalities: Speaking the Same Love and Money Language.